As the saying goes, ‘Health is Wealth’, sleep is one of the most luxurious comforts a human needs for his well-being. The better mattresses you sleep on, the better you will feel when you wake up at any time of the day. And when you sleep soundly, you are taking care of your health indefinitely. However, in India, we have more than 90% sleep-deprived citizens according to a survey taken recently. The issue of sleep deprivation and insomnia mostly affects the people living in metropolitan cities because of the vast difference in the lifestyle compared to those who live in smaller regions or states. When you lead a busy life, it becomes very crucial for the general residents to have a night of quality sleep. But the situation of both your lifestyle and your neighbours gets detrimental when you don’t own a good quality bedding.
Investing in the best mattress means investing in your health. A wrong mattress is most likely to cause you back pain, sore body, irritability and a decline in your energy level. When you have a night of quality sleep, it automatically brings positive changes in your home and work performance, and overall health state. When the priority is quality sleep, opting for the top mattress brands in India is the first step to achieving your goal. You’ll find that the market has shifted towards a more consumer-friendly model, as many brands are choosing to eliminate the middleman and instead deal directly with you, the consumer. As a result, luxury offerings that last long are available at an affordable premium. This allows you to enjoy better quality mattresses without having to deplete a chunk of your savings. Therefore, start investing in the best mattresses from now as we list down some of the best mattresses in India. Some of the best-performing brands in India include Sleepwell, Urban Ladder, SleepyCat and Sleepyhead.
Choose the Best Mattress in India
It takes a lot of time and works to identify the best mattress, especially considering all of the new players who have entered the market. Although most manufacturers allow you to opt for a trial period, it is boring as well as a tedious process of testing multiple mattresses until you find the right one for your bed. So, to help you make the right decision, you should consider these 10 best models from India's top mattress brands.
1. The Sleep Company 2.0 Smart Grid 8″ Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B07WP3V86Q star=4.6 reviews=300 feature_limit=2]
The Sleep Company is disrupting the Indian mattress market with their clutter-breaking Smart GRID technology which is advancing over the Memory Foam, Spring or Latex mattresses. This revolutionary sleep technology is beneficial because it adapts intelligently to every part of the human body. The hips and shoulders bear the entire bulk of body weight as we sleep. The patented technology used to make this mattress eases the pressure on these body parts to give a cuddling-like soft feel. The patient enjoys a relaxed sleeping environment every night, as it greatly relieves the pressure points on the body. The Smart Grid is constructed from the material of hyper-elastic polymer gel capable of absorbing pressure while providing the body with excellent comfort. The protruding parts, like the hips and the shoulders, experience the soft feeling. And, when you wake up in the morning it helps to reduce back pain, and other body aches. The crucial advantage of smart grid technology is that it allows the free flow of air through the open grid structure. Hence, keeping the mattress fresh also helps. Even during the summer nights, the user does not feel any sweating at all. The stretchable polymer gel enables this mattress to stretch up to 2000% and bounce back to its original shape with ease. It does not sag over time, thereby proving its durability.
The Motion Isolation Technology is an additional feature that ensures to eliminate any disturbance caused by your partner as he/she turns and tosses over during the night. The positive aspect of this best mattress is that it adapts to all body shapes, irrespective of the sleeping posture. The Smart Grid ensures to take the form of the body, thereby providing the highest degree of comfort to the user.
- Sleep tech eases pressure on body parts
- Hyper-elastic polymer gel
- Reduces back pain and body aches
- Remains fresh always
- Stretchable and bouncy
- Adaptable to all body types
- Very good for people with back issues
- The material is just right which gives a good night’s sleep
- Customer service is very impressive
- Super comfortable
I didn’t like:
- Pricing may be a bit on the higher side
2. Emma - Emma Memory Foam Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B07SC244LF star=4.0 reviews=105 feature_limit=2]
The "Emma Mattress" is first on our list of best mattresses in India. A European-born memory foam mattress that was the consistent recipient of the UK's 30 best mattress awards for 2018 and 2019. You have the option to choose an Emma mattress from a single bed to huge King size, available in over 13 different sizes. Emma comes with a trial period of 100 days where you can check it out and if you don't like it they take it off. No questions. No questions answered. Emma Foam Mattresses come with a German Build quality which lasts for a long time and doesn't need constant replacements like most mattresses. The mattresses have full-body adaptability, with a special design for pain-free comfort. The mattress is triple-layered and has 7 zones of the frame protecting the spine, providing maximum weight distribution and relaxing the lower back. The mattresses have their top covers made of highly breathable fibres that release any moisture that gets in or is produced periodically; thus maintaining an ideal temperature for sleep. Right below it is an Aircell layer with a comfortable and decompressing open-pore structure. It allows for greater air movement in and out of the mattress at all times and therefore guarantees genius breathability. The Visco-Elastic memory foam and polyurethane foam are combined with that in a supportive layer that lasts a very long time. The Visco-Elastic memory foam is highly flexible and evenly distributes your weight around the mattress, thereby relieving the spine. In comparison, the polyurethane foam is mounted at the bottom of the mattress and protects the shoulder and lower back. The grey coloured comfort cover is the closing off of these layers. The handles and 3D mesh not only give a sleek look to the mattress but also contribute to air circulation and grip when mounted on a bed frame. We found that all these layers measured density and proportions that perfectly add up to be one wide and comfortable bed. The top and bottom coverings are easily removable and machine-washable. It is perfect for stomach, back and side sleepers. The mattress comes rolled up in packaging with high vacuum sealing and is therefore easily transportable. What you need to do is unpack it and roll it onto the bed as it expands within a few hours to its original height. Emma tends to be characterized by its consistency and customer service. When the mattress is replaced every 10 days, it has a huge 20 years warranty from the seller. All of these factors make Emma a great buy for anyone. Emma mattresses are known for their great quality memory foam.
- 100 days of free trial and full refund if you do not like it
- 20 Years of manufacturer’s warranty
- Available in 13 different bed sizes
- Has 3 layers of comfort which include an Airgocell-layer, a visco-elastic memory foam layer and a long-lasting polyurethane foam supportive layer.
- 7 zones spine support structure for better distribution of weight
- The 3D meshed outer layer and a special climate fibre have great perforations which make the mattress moisture free and have a comfortable sleeping temperature, always.
- Perfect for people with back pain, insomnia and other back-related issues.
I didn’t like:
- The packaging is incredibly practical and impressive.
- Mattress is very comfortable
- Removable cover, which can be washed easily.
I didn’t like:
- May cause back pain issues in some people due to its softness.
3. Comforto Duplex | Firm and Soft Dual Comfort Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B075XKXVP8 star=4.7 reviews=237 feature_limit=2]
A budget mattress which also has dual comfort (Soft and Firm) is hard to find. Perhaps the best budget-friendly and high-quality mattress in the list is the Comforto Duplex. Since the mattress comes with dual support, it is suitable for people with back pain (hard/firm side) and those seeking relaxation and stress relief (soft side). One side of the mattress is packed with a thick support firm and is stacked. It would be the rough/strong side of the medium. The other side of the mattress is filled with soft dense foam. It would be the lighter side of the medium. These two layers are now closed and kneaded together with quilt fabric of soft and premium quality. The mattress thickness is available from 4 "to 5" and 6 "too. The mattress measurements can be easily customized and even you can speak to representatives of the customer service for different dimensions if needed. Comforto Duplex is made with fine raw materials and this is evident in the durability of the mattress. The outer design of the mattress is smooth-edged giving it a premium look and feel. This has to be the case as the company has been in the mattress business for about 35 years now.
Coming to the warranty for the product, you will be getting 11 years of warranty in this. This includes 2 years of full warranty and the remaining would be a pro-rated warranty. I.e, after 2 years of full warranty on the product, as the time increases, its warranty value decreases. You cannot get the full amount but shall get a certain (significant of course) percentage of refund/ credit on new purchases.
- Dual Comfort makes it ideal for people of all ages and people with back pain too.
- 11 years warranty available
- Finest quality Raw materials used.
I didn’t like:
- Mattress is really comfortable and supportive.
- This mattress is perfectly balanced with softness and firmness and hence suitable for all.
I didn’t like:
- Need to buy a mattress protector separately.
4. Springtek Ortho Pocket Spring
[amazon_api pro_id=B07BLFMGCJ star=4.5 reviews=615 feature_limit=2]
An ortho foam mattress that comes with springs in the pocket and whatever the size you want. Your search for a firm, foam-based and bouncy mattress ends with the Springtek Ortho Mattress! Medium solid, this mattress is perfect for dealing with back pain as well as neck pain. Ideal for the elderly but handy for all ages. On either side, this mattress can be used. That means that you can switch it to either side and use it to achieve the same results and comfort.
The Springtek mattress' comfort secrets lie in the 4 layers (including base). The outer layers are lined with minute foam casings centred on pocket spring. Above this is a layer of felt support, over which is mounted a quilt foam cover. All the layers are then knitted to the top and closed with a luxury quilt on them. Springtek insurance is a complicated and amusing one. The warranty length shall be equal to the thickness of the ordered mattress. For example, if you order a 6 inches thick mattress, you get a 6 years warranty from the manufacturers. Yet no-where were we seeing any sacrifices in terms of mattress price.
- Good fit for people of all ages.
- Pocket Springs for a good bouncy feel.
- 4 layer-based mattress.
- 6,8 and 10 years warranty available (Depending on the inches of mattress ordered).
- Springtek is very customer focussed and is very proactive in meeting consumer expectations.
- Lives up-to what is mentioned
- No motion transfer
- Your back will speak for itself, no more pain or strain.
- Medium firmness
- Size of the mattress is your preference
I didn’t like:
- Back pain can be an issue.
- Quality deteriorates over time.
5. BlissRent Foam Mattress
BlissRent is a king-size foam mattress which uses no specified form of foam but ends up being a high-quality mattress. The mattress is 78 inches long and 72 inches wide with a king-size depth of 6 inches and they tend to have almost a total of 40 + adjustable dimensions to choose from depending on the particular size of your bed frame. It is filled with foam as described, and most of that foam is hard foam. Stuffing up on this hard foam makes this mattress lean towards the medium-firm side. The product is moderately good for your back and proper alignment with your body. Also, BlissRent supports customisation requests. The only drawbacks we observed were that the foam is a little hard and given the pricing, could include better perforations as the mattress lacks breathability. Also, it offers just 1 year of manufacturer’s warranty.
- Good quality medium firm foam mattress
- Available in over 40+ direct customization and additionally, the factory can customize it to your needs.
- Very satisfied customer base.
- They have dedicated customer support who communicate to understand your requirements.
- Very affordable.
I didn’t like:
- Stitching quality is not that top notch
6. Extrasleep Coir Mattress for Orthopedic Care
[amazon_api pro_id=B07JWPBKGX star=4.5 reviews=804 feature_limit=2]
Next on our list is Extra Sleep, a coir-based 5-inch thick mattress that is ideal for back support and orthopaedic issues. What's fascinating is that Extra Sleep pretends to use Artificial Intelligence to model an individual's sleep and build their mattresses. The mattress is 83 cm long, and 41 cm tall. Extra Sleep is a mattress which has three layers. The first layer is a quilted foam of prime quality. As mentioned, the second layer is made of coir, and the material used is organic and is long-lasting. This coir is made of natural rubberized coir layers that protect your back and retain a proper position when you put it on. Apart from the coir and the foam layer, the final layer is made out of PU foam that works to enhance the support to the mattress. This supports forms to be the base for the mattress and provides ample comfort and promotes peaceful sleep. Coming to the cover material, it is pure and premium quilted cotton fabric. While it may not have the level of perforation as a memory foam mattress but has decent breathability and passage of air while maintaining the right temperature on it. Available in about 20+ different customization, Extra Sleep provides you with 5 years of manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase. What is also interesting is that Extra Sleep has had consistent good ratings and reviews on their mattress by satisfied customers.
Highlights: It is pure and quality quilted cotton fabric when it comes to the cover material. While it does not have the perforation level of a memory foam mattress it has good breathability and air passage while maintaining the appropriate temperature on it. Available in around 20 + different customizations, Extra Sleep provides you with 5 years warranty from the date of purchase from the manufacturer. What's also noteworthy is that the happy customers had consistently strong scores and reports of Extra Sleep on their mattress.
- Highly rated and customer satisfied product
- Very reasonably priced
- 5-inch thickness coir and foam-based mattress
- Triple-Layered mattress
- The first layer is premium foam,
- Second layer is natural rubberised coir for better back and spine comfort
- The final layer is PU Foam for enhanced support to the mattress
- 20+ Customization
- Quilted fabric cotton cover that is breathable to a certain extent
- 5 years manufacturer’s warranty
- Quality coir mattress.
- Good quality cloth used and coir is distributed quite well.
- Perfectly fits the size as mentioned.
- Good customer service.
- Comfortable. No lumps found on the mattress.
- Worth the price.
- It is quite hard which helps our back have a good position while sleeping.
I didn’t like:
- If you are looking for something extremely soft i.e which you can find in hotels this product is not for you.
7. SleepyCat – Gel Memory Foam Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B07JM7GQG4 star=4.5 reviews=2734 feature_limit=2]
If you’re someone who continually suffers from body pain and soreness when sleeping, this Gel Memory Foam Mattress by SleepyCat is highly recommended and is listed under one of the best mattresses in India by many customers. This mattress is cost-effective, offers high performance and is user-friendly. It is also certified with CertiPur US (foam certification) and OEKO TEX (fabric certification). This mattress is built with therapeutic features that will help eliminate your body soreness and help sleep better at night. It comes with a 6-inch thickness with 1-inch gel memory foam and 5-inch of high-density base support premium quality foam. The gel memory foam distributes your body weight evenly on the mattress, which will then release pressure from all over your body and help relax the muscles from inside. While, the premium quality foam is to support and add extra strength, durability, and good composition to the mattress. Another plus point of this premium mattress is, it is manufactured with a chemical-free procedure. They also offer a 30-day trial for full customer satisfaction and a 10-year manufacturing warranty. Thus, SleepyCat bedding is definitely worth every penny you invest in and truly deserves to be on the top best mattress India.
- 30-day free trial
- 10-year manufacturing warranty
- Cost-effective, high performance and user friendly
- Gel memory foam distributes weight
- Chemical-free manufacture
- Therapeutic features
- Perfect comfort for unbelievable price.
- Value for money memory foam mattresses.
- Customer support executive was outstanding.
I didn’t like:
- Medium level comfort
- Not as airy as said
8. Sleepyhead – Memory Foam Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B077XC36BH star=4.6 reviews=3456 feature_limit=2]
The Sleepyhead Memory Foam Mattress is Amazon’s best rating mattress, according to loyal users. It comes in two sizes- Queen size and King size, so it is most suitable to be used by two people at a time. It is built with breathable fabric from outside and three layers of foam on the side- comfort foam, responsive memory, and support foam which can hold any body type regardless of the body size and weight. The level of bounce it delivers will make you feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud, and pass the night peacefully without disturbing your partner no matter how many times you move. Also, the mattress comes with an outer cover which can be washed periodically for hygiene. The brand offers a 5-year manufacturer warranty and a 100-days free trial for customers’ satisfaction, which I totally agree that it deserves to be the best mattress in India.
- 100-days free trial for customer satisfaction
- 5-year manufacturer warranty
- 3 layers of foam on the side
- Breathable fabric
- Cloud-like Bounce
- Very light and comfortable
- Easy to install
- very light and comfortable
I didn’t like:
- Produces heat
- Causes back pain in some cases
9. Wink & Nod Lumbar – Orthopaedic Cool-Gel Memory Foam Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B07L8YN2N2 star=4.6 reviews=16 feature_limit=2]
Wink & Nod is one of the best mattress companies in India that exists today. They put the needs of the customers first while they come up with the products, which is why customers are always happy and satisfied with the product results.
The Wink & Nod Orthopaedic Cool-Gel Memory Foam Mattress deserves to take the top position of the best mattress in India because it can give you the most satisfying slumber you ever had. It is suitable for people of all ages, especially those with back pain problems. This mattress is neither too soft nor too hard, which is just perfect for your back or the other parts of the body and will help you sleep better and comfortably at night. The top layer of the mattress is of polyester fabric which is designed for breathability and luxury, and the cool-gel memory foam for endless comfort. If you are not sure about getting this product yet, the company also offers a 100-day trial program to the customers where you can use the mattress and experience it real time right at your home. Additionally, they also give a 10-year manufacturing warranty!
- 100-day free trial program to use and experience
- 10 year manufacturer warranty
- Suitable for people with back problems
- Cool gel memory foam
- Polyester fabric for luxury
- Neither too soft nor too hard
- Overall build quality of the mattress was very good
- Best buy for the price and features it offers.
I didn’t like:
- Fabric is not that comfortable
- Can cause back issues for some
10. Dreamzee – Orthocare Memory Foam Eurotop Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B01FC1CIHO star=4 reviews=221 feature_limit=2]
The fifth product to enter the list of the best mattresses in India is none other than the Orthocare Memory Foam Mattress by Dreamzee. Crafted with additional support at the edges to prevent from sagging, it comes with a thick and large mattress which is very suitable for Indian Families. It is built with a 2-inch Visco memory foam which was developed by NASA that is guaranteed to relieve you from stress and give the most comfortable sleep. Additionally, it comes with a premium Euro Top finish quilted cover adding to the comfort and support while sleeping. The mattress is also crafted with a heat-sensitive material which is highly recommended for those with spinal problems and back-aches. The brand offers five years of manufacturing warranty to ensure maximum customers’ satisfaction with the product.
- 5 years manufacturer warranty
- High sensitive material
- Suitable for people with back pain and spinal problems
- Does not sag easily
- 2-inch visco memory foam developed by NASA
- Euro Top finish cover
- The mattress is very comfortable to sleep on. Just the right amount of firmness with all the comfort.
- High Resilience (HR) Foam
I didn’t like:
- Length is short by some inches.
11. Wake-fit Orthopaedic Memory Foam Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B00RAEXL0K star=4.3 reviews=11249 feature_limit=2]
The Wake Fit Orthopedic Memory Foam Mattress is a steal in the first place with a 20-year warranty, 100-day sleep trial and a gentle and supportive alternative to any back/spine pain. Whether you're a pregnant woman or even someone with a back pain history, this is a great option. Not only does it help to alleviate back pain, but it also keeps the temperature stable. Memory foam leaves you feeling cool. Those who want to sleep on Memory foam should not adjust or move their sleeping positions in periods of more than four hours. Then the mattress locks on to your ideal place of sleep and provides great support to back up discomfort and comfort to the spine. The heart of the mattresses is tightly packed with memory foam which is fused with other quality foam (orthopaedic foam). This mattress scores to the list of the best mattresses in India because of its unique dual comfort mattress. It is super convenient for those who are sleep-sensitive and prefer to sleep on both firm and fluffy surfaces. This mattress is made with one side that has a firm cushion while the other part has a spongy texture so you can use either side depending upon your preferences and the change in climate conditions. The soft side of the surface is advised to use during summer, and the hard surface can be used in the winter season. The Wake-Fit dual comfort mattress promises a deep and healthy sleep, and thus, justifies as one of India’s best memory foam mattresses.
- 100-nights free trial
- 20 year manufacturer warranty
- Available in 4 sizes
- Dual comfort mattress
- Has both firm and fluffy surfaces.
- Suitable for sleep sensitive people
- 2 sides of the mattress for use in different seasons
- Light in weight and does not sag down easily.
- Use of High Quality of Memory foam and is in a dense packing for greater comfort.
- Great help in back pain and neck pain.
- The easily removable and washable outer skin can increase the life of the mattress.
- Temperature flexible and prolonged coolness due to bigger foam cells
- Comes in different customized fit sizes.
- Fine quality of fabric
- Value of money
- It is phenomenal in quality and comfort
- Lightweight and easy maintenance
- They take the orders, manufacture it & deliver it through flipkart
- Perfect combination of softness and hardness for quality sleep and back support
- Customer support team is also fantastic.
I didn’t like:
- Heating problem
- It is so spongy that your body goes inside it
- Sometimes the custom size is not accurate
- No firm support on sides
- They say it's ortho but it's very soft
12. Kurl-On Dream Sleep 6-inch Spring Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B01AK043LG star=4.3 reviews=46 feature_limit=2]
Kurl-On is another one of India’s largest selling beddings and a trusted brand. The Dream mattress comes in a 6-inch Queen size spring mattress and in various colour choices. Like any other products of Kurl-On, this mattress provides excellent support to the backbone while sleeping and provides you with the most comfortable sleeping experience. The primary material is made of spring, and the upholstery of polycotton, which makes it totally safe and okay even for people who suffer from obesity, to comfortably sleep on it. Additionally, it is designed with knitted fabric, which makes it look aesthetic and royal, adding to the high-grade features of the best mattresses in India.
- One of the most trusted brands
- Various colour choices
- Excellent backbone support
- Knitted fabric
- Looks royal
- Comfort level is superb
- Value for money
I didn’t like:
- Size seems not to be as what mentioned
- Spring may produce sounds
13. Flo Ergo – Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B07H32M5HS star=4.3 reviews=371 feature_limit=2]
The Flo Ergo memory foam mattress was crafted after experimenting around 120 different combinations. It comes in a 6-inches thick mattress made from poly foam fabric with responsive properties. Which means, the bed reacts according to the level of body pressures. The mattress is not just thermally sensitive but has been efficiently designed to take any type of body shape which lays on it. The lower the body weight is, the lesser the corresponding reaction will be and the higher the body weight is, the greater the support reaction the body will receive. This makes any individual feel light like a feather and provides a peaceful sleeping experience. Along with the remarkable features, the mattress also comes with a unique aloe vera infused gel zippered cashmere cover.
- Poly-foam fabric
- Thermally sensitive
- Gives the body feather like feeling
- Aloe vera infused gel zipper
- ZERO partner disturbance
- The aloe vera adds to the aesthetic value of the mattress
I didn’t like:
- Customer care service is bit of a headache
- Heat generation issue
14. Wink & Nod Lounge – Essential Comfort cool-gel Memory Foam Mattress
[amazon_api pro_id=B07L8Y9RJ4 star=4.3 reviews=43 feature_limit=2]
The second product from Wink & Nod to enter the list of the best mattresses in India is the Lounge Essential Comfort Cool-Gel Memory Foam Mattress. This mattress is built with four layers – removable and breathable mattress cover made of bamboo fibre material, Cool-Gel memory foam, high-density support foam, and a non-slip base layer to ensure optimal support and temperature control. Thus, this mattress has been explicitly designed to give you deep sleep and help relax your body muscles after a long, exhausting day. It is a revolutionary mattress made of non-toxic materials that helps rid your sleep deprivation and takes you into magical dreams. The product is also certified with CertiPur US (foam certification) and OEKO TEX (fabric certification), and offers a trial period of 100-days and a manufacturer warranty period of 10-years!
- 100-days trial period
- 10 years manufacturer warranty
- Has 4 layers
- Cool-gel memory foam
- Suitable for people with muscle ache
- Made up of non-toxic material
- CertiPur US certification
- OEKO TEX certification
- 4 layers
- Good materia
I didn’t like:
- Back pain issues
- Sometimes the measurements are inaccurate
15. Linenwalas Microfibre Mattress Padding
[amazon_api pro_id=B01GLD472Q star=4.6 reviews=316 feature_limit=2]
This mattress brand has been running in the business for quite a long time ever since it was first introduced to the market back in the year 1994. It is a wholesale supplier company that has been delivering a vast range of quality products and winning the trust of its loyal customers. In short, they offer the best quality mattresses with the cheapest possible costs. The Linenwalas Microfibre Mattress Padding is one of their top selling products that give you a luxury feel and experience. The product is built with an imported micro-fibre filling, giving you the most comfortable and a night of sound sleep. It is designed with elastic straps on all the four corners of the mattress, fitting perfectly on your bed.
- Long-running brand
- Gives luxury feel
- Micro-fibre filling
- Elastic straps for fitting perfectly on bed
- This can easily be detached and used as an extra mattress in times of need!
- The fibre is of good quality
I didn’t like:
- Product is thinner and contains 40% less microfibre than promised in the Specifications.
- May get deshaped within 6 months of usage
Buying Guide: Pick the right mattresses that fulfil your requirements:
Those who know how sleep can affect daily life will understand how important it is to choose the right mattress. Choosing one mattress among hundreds of others based on material, comfort and price- definitely not an easy task. So here is the easiest mattress buying guide for you.
a. Types of mattresses
Before you start comparing mattresses, you should decide which type of mattress you want.The most common types of mattresses are: open spring mattresses, pocket spring mattresses, memory foam mattresses, latex mattress and hybrid mattresses. Each of these types of mattresses offer different advantages and disadvantages. Do your research to find which types of mattress suits your needs the most!
b. Mattress properties
When choosing a mattress you shouldn’t just pick one that initially feels the most comfortable. You should instead look at how much support it offers, how breathable it is, whether or not it is suitable for people suffering from allergies and if you can remove and wash the cover. You should also take your body type and sleeping position into consideration, when deciding on a mattress
c. Comparing different mattresses
Once you have found three or four mattresses that meet your requirements you should look for reviews of those mattresses. Our Top5 mattresses comparison page is a good starting point, but you can also look at customer’s reviews on the brand’s page or consult the reviews done by independent consumer associations such as Which?. This will help you to further determine the pros and cons of each mattress.
d. Consider the customer service
When buying a mattress you shouldn’t just consider the mattress properties, but also have a look at the brand’s customer service. A mattress is a large piece of furniture. That makes getting a new one in and removing an old mattress quite tricky. You should research the company to see if it offers free delivery and if it offers to pick up your old mattress. Good customer service is an incredibly important aspect of buying a mattress and shouldn’t be underestimated.
e. Focus on the mattress size
Note that the size of the mattress differs from India and that of the western countries, so it is highly required to measure the size of both the mattress and your bed before proceeding to a final decision so that the mattress would be in sync with the size of your bed. The usual standard sizes of the mattress all over the world are Single, Twin, Twin XL, Full or Double, King, Queen, California King, etc. However, in India, you usually find only up to four sizes – Single, Double, Queen, and King. The single size standard measurement is (72 X 36) to (75 X 36) inches, the double size ranges from (72 X 48) to (75 X 60) inches, the Queen size from (72 X 60) to (78 X 60) inches, and the King size from (72 X 72) to (78 X 72) inches. However, you can also get it customised according to the size of your bed.
f. How thick should your mattress be?
Another significant point to keep in mind when you are shopping for a mattress is the thickness. That depends on your body built or body weight. Although nowadays the model thickness of a mattress is 10-inches, it is also good to take into consideration how thick the bedding should be depending on the weight of your body. Let’s delve into more details by checking out the five different levels of thickness you can find in a mattress:
- Low Profile Mattresses – They range from 2-5 inches and are a perfect fit for a more modern bedroom or people who prefer beds that are not too high. This is not recommended for heavy people.
- Thin Mattresses – These range from 5-8 inches thick and are recommended for lighter people as they exert less pressure.
- Standard Mattresses – They range from 8-12 inches thick and are made with spring, foam, and latex. Recommended for heavy people.
- Medium to Thick Mattresses – These mattresses range from 12-20 inches and give great comfort and support. They are recommended for people towards the heavier side.
- Very Thick Mattresses – They are the thickest mattresses you can find in the market, and it ranges starting from 20 inches and above. Although they are rarely seen in the markets, they are assured to deliver a luxury feel and are most suitable for heavy people.
g. Level of comfort
As important as the size and thickness of a mattress matter, the mass of comfort a bedding offer should be on the top priority lists. The mattress should be able to adjust to the sleeper’s body to help straighten the spine and prevent pressure points from developing. For that, the topmost layer of a mattress is subjected. Beddings like the memory foam or the latex mattress are proved to give maximum comfort to the users.
h. What position do you sleep in?
Everyone has their own sleeping position. Some like to sleep on their sides while others prefer to sleep on their back or on their stomach. Now, your position has much to do with your mattress. How? Every sleeping position has different needs such as support, firmness, comfort and so on. When you pick the wrong mattress you don't get the sleep you want. If you've ever experienced discomfort in your spine, back or knee, it's possible you don't use the right kind of mattress. And then, you have to change it.
Here is your ideal mattress choice according to your sleeping style.
|Sleeping styles||Suitable Mattress|
|Stomach Or Back Sleepers||Firm Mattress|
|Side Sleepers||Soft to medium-firm mattress|
|Combination Sleepers||Medium Firm Mattress|
A proper mattress with pressure relief becomes more important for side sleepers. This is because when you sleep on your sides you put the pressure of your body entirely on your hips and shoulders. You need something that will sink your hips and shoulders a little. Something soft to medium firm will be appropriate.
A memory foam mattress will be best for you. This will maintain proper spine alignment while relieving pressure from the neck and back areas.
Indians have wide hips and heavy shoulders, in general. Naturally, those parts hold more pressure than the rest of the body. We build up even more pressure while you sleep on your stomach. And you shouldn't pick anything too soft because you'll fall too far. So you'll miss full contact with your spine. Your mattress must be preferably sturdy enough to withstand the pressure. Among stomach-sleepers who prefer softer mattresses, foam or air-bag mattress is safer. They will also conform to the curves of your body and give the back proper support. Stomach sleepers are also significantly shifting their sleeping positions. And if you are sleeping with your partner, it's safer to avoid the spring mattress. And else you'll be disrupting the or else you will disturb the other person as you move during your sleep at nights.
Firmness and support are two important factors for people who sleep on their back. When you sleep on a bed your body can fall too far. This can cause back area discomfort after a while of using it. Your perfect mattress needs to accommodate the curve of your lumbar spine. Then it can lead to chronic back issues. Use anything that is flexible enough to prevent pressure points from developing but firm enough to provide sufficient back support.
A memory foam mattress provides maximum comfort to the back sleepers. It will conform to the natural spine alignment while providing softness and comfort. You can choose anything but avoid a spring mattress.
By the words “combination sleepers” we mean those who change their sleeping positions between back, sides, and stomach. If you are one of them you need a good balance between comfort and support. A medium-firm mattress will be your perfect match. We suggest you opt for a hybrid or gel bed. It will let you sink a little while you are on your side, give support when you are on your back and prevent sinking too deep as you sleep on your stomach.
i. Do you sweat during your sleep?
There's a lot of us getting this problem. Also interesting is that some mattresses feel hotter than others. The soft and conforming mattresses usually do not allow much air to move through the sheets. Compared with any firm mattress they retain more heat. Many of the mattress fabrics, including foam, capture the heat of the body. When you sleep hot naturally then it is easier to avoid such kinds of materials. Opt for an innerspring mattress or hybrid one. They let comparatively cooler air pass through and sleep.
Indian Mattress Types
This is probably the most confusing part. As there are not 2 or 3 types of mattresses, there are many. And each of them differs a lot from each other. In India, you will find the following type of mattresses.
- Coir Mattress
- Spring Mattress
- Memory Foam Mattress
- Foam Mattress
- Air bed
- Gel bed or Water bed
a) Coir Mattress:
Coir Mattresses, invented in India, are the most economical and environmentally friendly mattresses available anywhere in the world. These mattresses, made from dried coconut coir, are firm in nature and are incredibly affordable. They are made up of fibers and thus there will be no transition of motion from one portion of the bed to another. If you're someone in your sleep who continuously moves, then these mattresses are a perfect go to. Your companion won't be interrupted in their sleep. Such mattresses do not have sufficient elasticity, because the coir is made of coconut. Therefore repeated usage would cause the coir to be pressed down and thus the mattress to sag. These can even be a little uncomfortable to sleep on asthan foam or latex mattresses. The average lifespan of a coir mattress is 5-6 years.
- No motion transfer
- Firm and thick base.
- May cause a prickly sensation if the sheet/cover is thinner
- Gets sagged down over usage for years
- May alleviate your back pain due to its firmness
- Lower lifespan of the mattress
b) Spring Mattress:
The spring mattresses are traditional ones. As the name suggests it has internal metal springs and a comfortable outside cushion cover. They are really bouncy, because of the springs. Any time the other person moves the bed he makes some movement. And it can also interrupt your night. Nonetheless, some brands add a silicone layer on top to avoid motion transfer to some degree. The best part of owning a spring mattress is that they sleep cooler. They provide full airflow through the pads, due to the gaps between the springs and the cover. This helps to control body temperature. These coil mattresses are user friendly. These coil mattresses are comfortable to persons suffering from back pain and other position related discomforts. But the problem with a spring or a coil mattress is the metal spring cutting through the outer sheet covering. This may seem hazardous. Hence always look for strong quilt type or even better fabric for spring and coil based mattresses. They also make good choices for the couples as they are bouncy. They are usually more expensive than coir mattresses and also last much longer.
- Mid-Budget-friendly prices
- Bouncy feels
- Ideal for moderate backaches.
- Not ideal for longer durability
- Exhibit motion transfer. You can get disturbed while your partner moves about in his/her sleep.
- If buying of low quality, then chances are the springs break and tear through the upper fabric
c) Memory Foam Mattress:
They are a novelty over traditional foam mattresses. So these are more expensive. Memory foam mattresses use a particular type, called viscoelastic polyfoam . It is more dense which gives the feeling of a tight hug. It maintains the pressure when you press it, and after you leave, it regains its original form. It conforms to any curve of the body that is pushed in. In a few seconds, you can recall the imprint of your body form. It is also called memory foam. The motion isolation capability is the highest quality of a memory foam mattress. That ensures both partners have a peaceful sleep. When one tosses and turns, the other never worries. They 're perfect for sleepers on both sides / back and stomach.
- Ideal for people suffering from spinal or shoulder pains.
- The moulding and conforming ability of the mattress makes it the best pick for side or single position sleepers.
- These mattresses are temperature regulator and can perfectly juggle the air flow
- The build material is polyurethane, hence it can repel off any dust and allergies as such that affects the mattress and you too.
- Though good for spinal or shoulder pain, not ideal for older generations and severe back pain as the mattress is too soft.
- Not great for people who like to constantly toss around in sleep.
- Can be a bit smelly, Better use mattress perfumes to counter it.
d) Foam mattress:
These are India's most popular and cost-effective mattresses. These use the less thick, standard foam. They don't have the memory foam-like cuddling feeling. But they are soft and provide sufficient support for the back. They are good for people suffering back pains. These do have the potential to isolate movement like the memory foam which are much cheaper. The problem with the foam mattresses, however, is its sagging. Many foam mattresses appear to rot to the edges due to the aging of the material over a period of time. The key issue with the foam and memory foam mattresses is to maintain the moisture. When you sleep hot naturally they may not be the best choice for you.
- Ideal for backaches,hip pains and neck-pains etc.,
- High Durability
- Temperature regulation. Keeps you cool in summer and warm in winters.
- Exhibits motion isolation. No more getting disturbed by your partner due to their tossing in sleep.
- If low quality, foam mattresses can get sagged down.
- Sensitive to high heat.
Made from products based on either natural or synthetic rubber, Latex mattresses are alternatives to foam mattresses. They carry the same amount of bounciness and memory foam products. Latex mattresses are made out of many polyfoams and other synthetic materials to provide different properties. Others are extra smooth and soft and others are hard depending on the correct combination of these materials. These mattresses are perfect for relieving pains in the shoulder, backaches and are exceptionally good for people who wish to sleep longer in a single place. They are also temperature regulated and have a longer lifespan (typically more than 8 years) than average mattresses. This is due to the fact that they are far denser than a standard mattress. Latex comes in two major types. Dunlop latex and Talalay latex. Dunlop latex has a heavier base and is used for bases of major mattresses. The Talalay latex is a mixture of both lighter and heavier froth of the foam.
- Have a great bouncy feel to them like spring mattresses.
- Can be either soft or hard depending on the requirements
- Temperature regulated and do not heat up easily
- Longer life span for the mattresses due to their denser body composition
- Can help ease body aches and back pains along with shoulder pains too.
- Expensive out of all mattresses
- The rubber used may lead to some odour forming. Use mattress perfumes to counter it.
f) Hybrid Mattress:
A hybrid mattress combines two or three mattresses to form one. A hybrid mattress can offer you multiple benefits at an affordable price. You will also see a latex and memory foam hybrid mattress, or latex and innerspring. It helps you to get the benefits of both foam and latex. Like, memory foam conforming, and a latex cooling. You may also take advantage, for example, of a high-quality mattress as a smaller sheet, memory foam at the rim. They are multipurpose and they work for everyone. For the hybrid sleepers who change their sleeping postures at night, these are the perfect options.
- Good support
- Medium bounce
- Not very durable
Air mattresses are also known as air beds or blow-up beds. They are inflatable or tire like which means you need to pump them up with air. The majority of them are made with polyvinyl chloride or PVC. But recently some brands are using rubber or urethane plastic. These are better versions. You can roll them up and store them easily inside your cupboard. Hence, they are very popular for camping and as temporary beds for guests. It lets you adjust the mattress thickness so anyone from any weight group can use it. They are good for bedridden people as they prevent bedsores.
- Cheap and Easily transportable
- Can be used by people with lower back aches and bedridden patients
- Does not sag often of much
- Does not absorb heat from your body. Moreover, water beds help dissipate heat when used in summer and keep you cool.
- Are prone to get punctured and damaged easily.
- They are one side flocked. I.e, one side used to sleep. Advisable that you find something that is flocked and usable on two sides.
h) Gel beds or Water beds:
Some memory foam mattresses are infused with gel. If you don’t like sleeping on a foam mattress or have foam allergies these can be a better option for you. They are engineered with better airflow and cooling capabilities. They are good for people with arthritis.
- Good support
- Good for people with back pains
- Not easily available
What is the best mattress for back pain?
Does a firm mattress really help if you have a troublesome back or is it another old wives’ tale that should be relegated to being a punchline of throwaway quips? There is a serious lack of scientific research to back this “common wisdom” while conversely, there is ample research that suggests that there is no single level of firmness that works for everyone with chronic back pain – it all boils down to listening to the needs of your body. But figuring out what signs to look for while trying to figure out what mattress is suitable for you is always difficult unless you know what to look for – here’s a quick guide to help you choose the mattress that could alleviate your back problems –
Spinal Alignment is Everything
A large section of the general population is unaware of the existence of an “ideal sleep posture”. It's crucial for all the muscles and ligaments in your back to relax enough for recovery and regrowth while you sleep. If you have a slight, narrow frame than a mattress around 6 (on a 1 to 10 scale, with 10 being the firmest) will be a better fit for you while a mattress rating around 4-5 is better suited for those with wide hips. Usually, the straighter the spinal alignment, the more ideal the sleeping posture is – and sadly, as of writing, there isn’t a single mattress currently on sale in India that supports your spine perfectly.
When unsure – medium firm is the cure
Research showed that a vast majority of people with chronic back pain surveyed reported lower levels of back pain when they slept on medium-firm mattresses compared to when they slept on firm/hard mattresses.
Longer test before you settle
If you experience a perfect night’s sleep while in a hotel or a friend’s house, jot down the mattress company and model. Or buy a mattress that gives you a 50 to 100 nights trial (which shouldn’t be difficult to find) as then you will be able to return the mattress if it isn’t the right fit for you.
Spend more on mattress
Another University research showed that the people who slept on less expensive mattresses reported more back pain – while those who slept in medium- and high-priced mattresses showed lower levels of back pain. So, evidently price does matter when it comes to the quality of sleep you get, and body support you get. If you cheap out while buying a mattress then it can literally hurt you for several years to come.
How do I know when to replace my mattress?
Consider replacing your mattress if:
- You are using it for more than 7 years: It's not the case with every form of mattress. But, it's a common thumb law. A replacement will depend on your sleep patterns and the material. A latex or foam mattress lasts for a maximum period of 7-10 years. While a coir mattress may need a replacement after 3-4 years of using it.
- You are having disturbed sleep or waking up with aches and pains: Some mattresses keep offering comfort and support just as they do when they're new. Unfortunately, some don't. When you wake up while sleeping or have body aches that have never plagued you before, then you should seriously consider changing the present mattress. Don't hesitate, even if they're pretty new or the manufacturers say they're going to last a few years.
- Your mattress has a deep indentation or sagged too much: Mattress sagging is nothing new. They all sag after using them for a couple of years. Indentations also develop on the areas which come under heavy pressure. But, sagging and indentations to an extent where it becomes uncomfortable to sleep requires you to change your mattress.
Tips And Ideas To Keep Your Mattress Clean
Cleaning or doing house chores could be the most annoying thing to do! – well, for those of us who hate cleaning, at least. Many of us don’t fret cleaning our mattress unless we are faced with unfortunate situations, like staining or spilling. We believe it’s a tough chore to do and often skip with an excuse. However, it is as simple and easy as it is! While there may be no unwanted stains and spillage, beds are often covered with dust mites and bacteria. So, here are a few tips and tricks to keep your mattress clean and hygienic.
1. Wash Your Bed Sheets Regularly.
Before anything else, the first step to always keep your bed hygienic is to wash your bed sheets regularly. Everyone wants to sleep comfortably on a clean sheet with a pleasant smell, and not only that, sleeping on a clean sheet helps prevent dead skin cells from settling on your mattress, thus, reducing the dust mite population as well. So, it is highly essential to wash the bed sheet, along with pillowcases every week.
2. Hot Water Is The Best Friend.
Another great tip to remember is that washing the sheets and cases with hot water works three times better in removing all the unwanted elements and keeping your bed clean and hygienic. The water temperature should be at least 60 degrees to eliminate dust mites and bed bugs effectively.
3. Vacuum It!
Speaking of mattresses, many manufacturing companies have declared in the past that vacuuming is the only best method to sanitize your mattress. To achieve effective results, you need a high-performance vacuum cleaner with a good HEPA filter power. Furthermore, keeping the bedding under the sun for an hour or two also helps to clean and disinfect the mattress.
4. Let It Breathe.
As much as we all need fresh air and sunlight for rejuvenation, your mattress needs it too! Leaving the windows and doors open is another effortless way to make your mattress clean and dry. Make it a habit to repeat this routine every morning for good hygiene.
5. Stubborn Stains? Try This DIY Trick!
One of the worst fears of sleeping on a mattress where you’ve invested a lot is staining or spilling liquids on it. It can be caused because of those nights when you get wasted, or by your cat, or by the natural periodic phenomenon. And to make it worse, some stains turn out stubborn, adding to your distress. There is a smart trick for these times where many moms and influencers have vouched for it and proved it worked. All you need is-
- A roll of paper towel.
- Baking soda.
- Distilled white vinegar or vodka (optional).
- An empty spray bottle.
- A vacuum cleaner.
Spray an ample amount of the vinegar on the stained area and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Make sure to keep the windows and doors open for an increased air-flow to accelerate the process. Next, using the paper towel or rags, blot the mattress layer and soak up the vinegar, but do not press down too hard as the liquid may go down deeper. After the blotting, spread the baking soda evenly on the area and let it sit for several hours (3-6 hours). Remember, the longer the hour, the more effective the result will be. As the hour passes, the baking soda will soak up the vinegar and become cakey. For the final process, vacuum up the baking soda from the mattress for a few times until you are satisfied, and voila!
Tips for Longer Life of Mattresses
- Wash the linens and outer casings regularly. You should do it once every month.
- Use a mattress protector if possible. There are even waterproof protectors available which can increase the life of your mattress to many folds.
- Flip the mattress to the other side once every 6 months to maintain the consistency of the foam/coir/coil. Most mattresses work the same on two sides (unless you have a dual comfort mattress or a spring mattress).
- Keep your pets away from the beds. Dogs or Cats with their paws can slowly deteriorate the string consistency. It will cause the threading to become loose and thereby decrease the life of the mattress.
- Avoid getting into bed barefoot. Try wearing a pair of socks for extra comfort or wash your hands and feet before getting into bed
- Make sure you have the correct mattress that fits perfectly with your bed frame. Fitting an over large mattress in a small bed might seem comfortable or the chalta hain style. But in the longer run, it will decrease the life of the mattress considerably.
- In case if you are an airbed or waterbed mattress, owner/user, make sure that you are deflating the beds often. Stagnant air can cause problems not just to you but the mattress as well. It may pop out and burst if used for longer durations. Keep deflating it and inflating it from time to time.
- Know the weight capabilities of mattresses before buying. Foam and Latex mattresses are capable of holding on greater weights. Increased weight can decrease the mattress’s life.
- Try to get a waterproof and easily washable bed sheet or cover casings if you can. They protect your mattress from any stains or any other fluids/humidity causing damage to the mattress.
Myths And Facts About Mattresses
Shopping for a mattress is one of the most stressful things to do because you get to hear this and that from all corners and you’re stuck with coming to a firm decision because you’re not sure whether to believe it or not. If you’re one of the many who suffer from similar situations, it is time to learn about the myths and facts of mattresses so that, the next time it happens, you’ll be aware of the misleading information.
|The more money you invest in, the better the mattresses are.||The price tag of a mattress does not guarantee comfort. You may find one with the best quality mattress available in the market, but it is pointless to pay that amount if it doesn’t cater to your comfort and needs. At times, a low-cost mattress can provide you with better satisfaction than the pricey ones.|
|A firm mattress is the best type!||Most people have the wrong notion that the firmer a mattress is, the better it is for them. It may be true to some who suffer from back pain, but it’s not for everybody. When you lay down with your face facing upward, your shoulder and hips naturally get support from the mattress since humans have a natural ‘S’ shaped spine. However, that can put pressure on your vertebrae leading to unwanted back pain. So, look out before you blindly go for it!|
|You should flip your mattress regularly.||We are in an advanced world now. Flipping your mattress is not required today since the majority of the manufacturers make only one-sided that do not require flipping, although rotating it in the initial 2 months is recommended for long-lasting.|
|There is no need to clean the mattress if it has a protector.||Another common myth or misleading information about mattresses is that there is no need to clean them. No! It is unquestionably necessary to clean it regularly. If you’re still wondering, mattress protectors exist to protect your mattress from spillages or dirt, not from dust mites and other allergens.|
|You should change your mattress every 8-years.||While most people believe that mattresses should be changed after every 7-8 years, it is not entirely true. Just like how a particular product lasts depending on the way you use, beds can also be used shorter or longer than what the industry proclaims. That includes how you take care of it, how much you sleep on it and also how much activity you have during the night. So, even if the mattress brand guarantees you with a 10-year warranty, if you don’t take proper care of it, it may last only for a few years.|
Essential Considerations while purchasing mattresses online
Can you buy mattresses online? Yes, you can. However, you should consider the following points while doing so.
Shipping and Delivery
Most of the reputed online retailers offer free shipping and delivery. However, you should check whether the service is available in your area before purchasing your mattress online.
The advantage of online shopping is that there are not much waiting times. The maximum you might have to wait is between three to seven days.
Assembling the mattress
Usually, the online retailers deliver the mattresses at the doorstep of the buyer. The manufacturer arranges for the assembling of the mattresses. It is not difficult to assemble these mattresses as well.
If the old mattresses are in excellent condition, there are exchange offers available.
All the major manufacturers nowadays offer sleep tests that allow the consumer to test the mattress for a particular period. Customers get a refund if the mattress is returned within the given period.
Most manufacturers of mattresses offer a 30-day sleep trial while some others offer 100 days. The companies typically have a fixed break-in time before they allow mattress returns. You'll need at least three weeks to decide if the mattress is comfortable or not. Customers have the choice of either taking a refund or a substitute. Most suppliers plan for a free return and in other situations, the consumer can have to pay for the return dispatch. Usually, companies sell such returned mattresses as ‘seconds sale’ or may even donate it to charity.
Many of the mattresses come with a generous duration of the warranty. You get warranties on the mattress's fabrics or covers against design defects such as unnecessary sagging or flaws. The warranties do not compensate for ordinary wear and tear or other physical damages. Nor is the warranty available if the defect is due to the consumer's negligence or unwillingness to use the product.
We have now seen a review of some of the best mattresses in India followed by an exhaustive mattress buying guide. An excellent mattress is one that provides high-quality comfort. Mattresses are critical for the overall health of your spine. Sleeping on a good mattress can help you develop a good posture thereby increasing your confidence levels.
We trust this mattress guide proves helpful to you to choose the right mattress for your home.